The Second Chance Program
For the protection and rehabilitation of young people in detention centers.
Fruit of many years of work in youth centers, the Second Chance Program has been developed in Partnership with the Department of Justice and Department of Social Welfare and Development.
It aims to fight recidivism and accompany Children in Conflict with the Law aged between 17 to 23 years old.
It has developed social, psychological and educational interventions designed for the specific needs of these youth. Is the result of the observation that reintegration of CICL’s starts in detention centers.
Second Chance Program is divided into two parts:
1. Intervention in Detention Centers (Social Preparation)
The team regularly visits several detention and rehabilitation centers for minor in Metro Manila, More than 80 visits to detention and rehabilitation centers are organized and 80 to 100 youth per year are followed up and formed inside the centers. The program developed various actions:
- Personal sharing
- Legal assistance
- Self confidence, discover oneself and personality, leadership
- Provides module of formation regarding personality development and preparation for their reintegration into society
- Crossroad formation, since 2010 was awarded as »Best Practice for the Youth in Jail« by JJWC (Juvenile Justice for the Welfare of Children)
2. The Reintegration (After Care)
ACAY offers a reintegration programs which aims to educate, to train and to prepare young adults who came out of detention centers to have the knowledge, techniques and necessary values in order to become an active member of the society.
- Formal education and trainings
- Professional assistance
- Psycho-social interventions
- Family interventions