The Philippines A contrasting social context:
- An archipelago of 7,641 islands in South East Asia
- 106 millions habitants
- 21.6% of the population is living below poverty line
- 250,000 street children in the Philippines
- 1 in 10 filipino youth between 6 and 24 years old is an out-of-school youth
- 2.1 million children aged 5 to 17 are victims of child labor
- 8 in 10 filipino children suffer in abuse and violence
- 30% of women have suffered physical abuse during their youth
- 1 in 5 youth aged 13 to 24 years old had been sexually violated
- Boys, as much as girls, are victims of sexual abuse.
- 60% of boys released from prison recidivate.
- At times the cultural traditions make that parental responsibilities weigh heavily on children’s shoulders.
- Few NGO’s are interested in taking care of youth aged over 15.