The Philippines A contrasting social context
- An archipelago of 7,641 islands in South East Asia
- 106 millions habitants
- 10 million families live below the poverty line
- 250,000 street children
- 3.8 millions out-of-school children
- 2.1 million children aged 5 to 17 are victims of child labor
- 8 in 10 filipino children suffer in abuse and violence
- 30% of women have suffered physical abuse during their youth
- 60,000 to 100,000 children are sexually exploited
- Boys, as much as girls, are victims of sexual abuse.
- 60% of boys released from prison recidivate.
- At times the cultural traditions make that parental responsibilities weigh heavily on children’s shoulders.
- Few NGO’s are interested in taking care of youth aged over 15.