The Philippines A contrasting social context
- An archipelago of 7000 island of South East Asia
- 103 millions habitants
- 2 out of 5 families live below the poverty line
- 1.5 million street children
- 2.8 millions uneducated children
- 4 million children aged 5 to 14 are victims of child labor
- 1/3 of children are victims of abuse and violence
- 30% of women have suffered physical abuse during their youth
- 100 000 are victims of prostitution
- Boys, as much as girls, are victims of sexual abuse.
- 60% of boys released from prison recidivate.
- At times the cultural traditions make that parental responsibilities weigh heavily on children’s shoulders.
- Few NGO’s are interested in taking care of youth aged over 15.